Agent For Acceptance Of Service Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Agent For Acceptance Of Service, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Agent For Acceptance Of Service?
n. an appeal is an accusation of a person, in a legal form, for a crime committed by him; or, it is the lawful declaration of another man’s crime, before a court of law. Another usage is the act by which a party submits to the decision of a superior court, a cause which has been tried in an inferior tribunal. Acceptance of an appeal by a higher court generally annuls the judgment of the inferior court, so far that no action can be taken upon it
History and Meaning of Agent For Acceptance Of Service
An agent for acceptance of service is a person who is authorized to receive legal documents, such as a summons, on behalf of another person or entity. This is especially important in legal proceedings where the defendant (the person being sued) cannot be located or is avoiding service of process. In such cases, the agent for acceptance of service can receive the documents on behalf of the defendant and ensure that the legal process moves forward.
Examples of Agent For Acceptance Of Service
- John was being sued but did not live at his registered address. His lawyer was appointed as his agent for acceptance of service, meaning that any legal documents would be delivered to the lawyer instead of John himself.
- When a corporation is sued, they will often appoint a registered agent for acceptance of service to ensure that all legal documents are received in a timely manner.
- In an international dispute, an agent for acceptance of service may be appointed to receive documents on behalf of a foreign defendant.
Legal Terms Similar to Agent For Acceptance Of Service
- Service of Process: The legal requirement of providing notice to another party, typically by delivering legal documents such as a summons or complaint.
- Registered Agent: A person or entity who is designated to receive legal documents on behalf of a corporation or LLC.
- Summon: A legal document that notifies a defendant that a lawsuit has been filed against them and requires them to appear in court.