Authority Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Authority, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Authority?
(n) Authority is the form of power bestowed on a person by virtue of his holding of certain position or social responsibility to fulfill the duties entrusted on them. Authority is the tool used to demand diligence and obedience of the persons under their command to achieve the objectives of the group or association.
History and Meaning of Authority
Authority is a term used to describe the power given to a person or group to carry out specific duties or tasks. This power is often granted by a higher authority, such as a government, organization, or leader. The concept of authority has been present throughout history, from the earliest civilizations to modern times. It has played a crucial role in shaping societies, economies, and political systems.
Examples of Authority
- A police officer has the authority to enforce the law and maintain order in their jurisdiction.
- A teacher has authority in the classroom to control the behavior of their students and guide their learning.
- An elected official has the authority to make decisions and pass laws on behalf of their constituency.
- A parent has authority over their children to ensure their safety and well-being.
- A judge has authority in the courtroom to interpret and apply the law and make decisions in legal cases.
Legal Terms Similar to Authority
- Jurisdiction - Refers to the power of a court or other authority to hear and decide cases within a certain geographic area or over a specific subject matter.
- Power of Attorney - A legal document that grants a person the authority to act on behalf of another person in specific situations.
- Legitimacy - Refers to the rightfulness or lawfulness of an authority's power or position.
- Sovereignty - The supreme power or authority of a state within its specific geographic boundaries.
- Delegation - The act of formally assigning or transferring authority or responsibility from one person or group to another.