Booby Trap Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Booby Trap, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Booby Trap?
(n) Booby Trap is the arrangement or machinery which is activated when some living things enters therein and kill or harm them. Booby trap is used to protect the area, property or valuables from trespassers. Eg. Giving live electricity to metallic fence.
History and Meaning of Booby Trap
The term "booby trap" originated in the 18th century and was used to describe a type of practical joke or prank that was designed to embarrass or surprise someone. Over time, the term evolved to refer to devices that were intended to harm or kill anyone who triggered them. Booby traps were first used in warfare during World War I, and their use became more widespread during World War II and subsequent conflicts.
Examples of Booby Trap
- An explosive device that is triggered when someone steps on a hidden pressure plate.
- Poisonous gas that is released when a door is opened.
- A tripwire that activates a gun or arrow trap.
- Electrified fences that can shock anyone who tries to climb over them.
Legal Terms Similar to Booby Trap
- Sabotage - the intentional destruction or damage of property or machinery
- Entrapment - the use of deception by law enforcement to induce someone to commit a crime they would not have otherwise committed
- Negligent security - a legal theory that holds property owners or managers responsible for injuries that occur due to inadequate security measures.