Child Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Child, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Child?
1\. They are a human being who has nbot reached the age of 14 yet and have not yet attained puberty. 2. A natural offspring of a person is also known as child.
History and Meaning of Child
The term "child" refers to a human being who has not yet reached the age of 14 and has not yet attained puberty. It is also used to describe a natural offspring of a person. The concept of childhood has evolved throughout history, with different societies and cultures having varying attitudes towards children and childhood.
For much of human history, children were seen as miniature adults and were expected to work and contribute to their families' survival as soon as they were physically able. However, with the rise of the Enlightenment and modern ideas about individual rights and freedoms, childhood came to be seen as a distinct and valuable stage of life.
Today, most societies have laws and policies in place to protect children and ensure their well-being. These include laws against child labor, mandatory schooling, and child protection laws that prohibit abuse and neglect.
Examples of Child
- The defendant was charged with child abuse for hitting their seven-year-old during an argument.
- The new law prohibits the employment of children under the age of 14.
- The pediatrician specializes in the health and medical care of infants, children, and adolescents.
- The couple was overjoyed to welcome their first child into the world.
- The children's section of the library is filled with books and toys for young readers.
Related Legal Terms
- Child custody: The legal right to make decisions about a child's upbringing and welfare, often granted to a parent in a divorce or separation case.
- Child support: Financial payments made by a non-custodial parent to help cover the costs of raising a child.
- Child endangerment: A criminal offense that occurs when a person puts a child in a situation that could cause them harm or injury.
- Minor: A person who is not yet legally an adult, typically under the age of 18.