Fornication Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Fornication, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Fornication?
(n) Fornication is the act of involving in sexual relation ship between a man and a women without having a marriage relationship among them, by mutual consent or desire without external compulsions.
History and Meaning of Fornication
Fornication is a term that dates back to ancient times and is a historically loaded and religiously charged word with a straightforward definition. It can be defined as sexual intercourse between unmarried individuals. The term is derived from the Latin word "fornicatus," which means "to vault over." It was used to describe people who visited brothels and promoted sexual immorality or indecency.
The term has been used traditionally to describe sexual activity between an unmarried man and woman. However, modern laws widely recognize and permit sexual relations between consenting unmarried individuals.
Examples of Fornication
- In many conservative societies around the globe, fornication is considered a punishable offense
- John was convicted of fornication after engaging in unprotected sexual intercourse with his girlfriend
- The man and woman were charged with fornication, but the court eventually acquitted them after they could prove that they were married in another state
- Fornication is usually the last thing on people's minds when visiting a hospital for treatment
- The prosecution argued that the couple had committed fornication by engaging in sexual intercourse without being married.
Legal Terms Similar to Fornication
- Adultery, a term used to describe sexual intercourse between a married individual and someone who is not their spouse
- Incest, a term used to describe sexual relationships between family members
- Prostitution, selling sexual services in exchange for money
- Rape, non-consensual sexual intercourse with someone
- Sodomy, a term used to describe anal sex between people or sex acts performed with animals.