Harass Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Harass, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Harass?
(v) Harass is the act of inflicting difficulties to a person, and continuous annoying stopping him from leading a peaceful life, by resorting unfair activities . Harassment happens when the person effected cannot respond and there is no truth in the stand of the person resorting harassment.
History and Meaning of Harass
The term "harass" comes from the French word "harasser," which means to inflict pain or distress. Harassment is a form of discrimination that involves unwelcome behavior, usually with the intention of intimidating, degrading, or humiliating the victim. This behavior can take many forms, including physical, verbal, or visual acts.
Harassment has been around for centuries, but it has only recently been recognized as a significant problem in many different areas of life, including the workplace, schools, and public spaces. In response to this growing awareness, many countries have passed laws and developed policies aimed at preventing and punishing harassment.
Examples of Harass
- A woman is walking down the street and a man starts following her, making lewd comments and gestures.
- An employee is repeatedly yelled at and belittled by their boss, despite their best efforts to do their job well.
- A student is bullied and taunted on social media by their peers, causing them to feel isolated and afraid.
- A cyclist is intentionally hit by a car while riding on the road, despite following all traffic laws.
Legal Terms Similar to Harass
- Discrimination: Treating someone unfairly or differently based on their race, gender, religion, or other personal characteristics.
- Sexual harassment: Unwanted sexual advances, comments, or behavior that create a hostile or intimidating work environment.
- Stalking: Repeatedly following, contacting, or harassing someone with the intent of causing fear or distress.
- Intimidation: Threatening or coercive behavior that is meant to scare or control someone.