Household Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Household, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Household?
(n) Household is the collection of persons whether related or not, joined together for getting the comfort of living together. Generally the term is used to represent a family living in a house
History and Meaning of Household
Household is a term used to describe a group of individuals living in the same dwelling, irrespective of whether they are related to each other or not. In the past, households were more commonly associated with extended families, where grandparents, children and grandchildren would often live together under the same roof. Today, there are different types of households that can vary in their composition and size, including nuclear families, single-parent households, blended families, as well as individuals who choose to live with roommates or housemates who are not related to them.
Examples of Household
- The Jones household consists of John, his wife Sarah and their two children.
- Lisa is a single mother, and her household consists of her and her two children.
- Tom and his three friends share a house together, making up a household of four.
- After her husband passed away, Mrs. Smith moved in with her sister and her family, creating a multi-generational household.
- The new census data shows that the number of single-person households has increased in recent years.
Legal Terms Similar to Household
- Residence: This term is often used interchangeably with household and refers to the place where a person lives or has their domicile.
- Family: This term is generally used to describe people who are related by blood, marriage or adoption and can be considered a broader concept than household, encompassing both living and deceased relatives.
- Domestic partnership: A legal arrangement in which two people who are not related by blood or marriage live together and share resources and responsibilities akin to a married couple.