In Toto Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of In Toto, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is In Toto?
Its a latin phrase meaning toatlly, completely, alltogether, entirely etc.
History and Meaning of In Toto
The term "In Toto" is a Latin term which means "totally," "completely," "all together," or "entirely." It is often used in legal writing to describe a situation where all parts of something are considered as a whole, without any individual parts being excluded. The term has been used in English since at least the 16th century.
Examples of In Toto
- The attorney reviewed the case in toto, considering all the evidence as a whole, in order to build the strongest case possible for their client.
- The judge decided to dismiss the case in toto, ruling that the evidence presented by the prosecution was insufficient to support a conviction.
- The committee examined the proposal in toto, discussing each part of it comprehensively before making a decision.
- The contract must be read in toto before signing, as it contains important terms and conditions that cannot be ignored.
- The report was criticized for not considering the issue in toto, as it failed to take into account all relevant factors.
Legal Terms Similar to In Toto
- En Bloc: This term means "as a whole" or "in its entirety," and is often used in the context of the sale or purchase of a group of assets or properties.
- In Rem: This term refers to a legal action taken against a specific piece of property, rather than against a person.
- Res Gestae: This term refers to all the circumstances surrounding a particular event, and is often used in evidence law to describe statements made during the course of an event that are admissible in court.
- In Situ: This term means "in place" or "in its original position," and is often used in the context of art or artifacts that are displayed in their original location or position.
- Ad Hoc: This term means "for this specific purpose" or "created for a particular situation," and is often used in the context of a committee or group that is formed for a specific task or project.