Joint Powers Agreement Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Joint Powers Agreement, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Joint Powers Agreement?
It refers to the agreement or contract between cities, country or special district to co-operate with each other by offering the agreed services or power to each other.
History and Meaning of Joint Powers Agreement
A Joint Powers Agreement, also known as a JP Agreement or a Memorandum of Understanding, is a legal agreement between two or more government entities to work together and share resources. The JP Agreement is often used to establish a jointly operated program or service. Such agreements are common in the public sector since the government agencies work towards similar goals, and such agreements often provide mutual benefits.
Examples of Joint Powers Agreement
- Several cities come together and create a public transportation system through a Joint Powers Agreement.
- Two school districts sign a JP Agreement to share technology resources such as software and servers.
- Multiple counties join forces to create a regional park system managed through a JP Agreement.
- A police department of a smaller city and a larger city department work together and form a Joint Powers Agreement to provide additional police resources and support.
- In California, multiple child development programs create a joint powers authority to provide education to children.
Legal Terms Similar to Joint Powers Agreement
- Intergovernmental agreements (IGAs) - This legal term refers to an agreement between government entities to provide services to each other or work on shared projects.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - This is a legally binding document expressing an agreement between two or more parties, indicating what the parties agree to do or not to do.
- Interagency agreements (IAAs) - These agreements occur when different agencies within a government cooperate across organizational lines to execute a specific task.