Legal Advertising Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Legal Advertising, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Legal Advertising?
(n) Legal advertising is the advertisement required by law to announce the notices, proceedings of the court for the knowledge of the parties involved or are interested in the lawsuit so that they can participate in the proceedings. Legal advertisement in well circulated local newspapers are stipulated when the notice could not be served to the persons concerned for want of their address etc.
History and Meaning of Legal Advertising
Legal advertising is an advertisement that is mandated by law to inform the public of a legal proceeding or notice. Legal advertisements are placed in newspapers or other news publications to disseminate legal notices to parties that might be interested in participating in the legal proceedings. Examples of the legal proceedings that commonly require legal advertising are foreclosures, probate actions, and bankruptcies, among others. The aim of legal advertising is to notify parties involved, or other interested parties such as potential buyers, of the legal proceeding relevant to them.
Examples of Legal Advertising
- A notice of bankruptcy filed by a business is legally advertised to inform interested parties of the proceedings.
- A foreclosure of a home initiates a legal proceeding, and by law, legal advertising is required to inform other potential buyers of the property.
- When a legal proceeding involves a person who is missing or unknown, legal advertising is used to locate them.
Legal Terms Similar to Legal Advertising
- Public Notice: A public notice is any type of notice or advertisement made in connection with legal proceedings. It can be used interchangeably with Legal Advertising.
- Classified Advertising: Classified advertising is a type of advertising that is commonly used to advertise legal notices in newspapers or other publications.
- Legal Notice: A legal notice is a broad term used to describe any notice that is required in connection with legal proceedings. Legal advertising is often used to fulfill this requirement.