Licensee Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Licensee, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Licensee?
(n) Licensee is the person or legal entity who has got legal permission from the authorities to perform certain acts, conducts, activities etc which are restricted or otherwise controlled as a matter of policy. Eg. Licensee dealing alcohol.
History and Meaning of Licensee
A licensee is an individual or entity that has been granted a legal consent or permission by an authority to conduct or perform certain actions, activities, or operations that are otherwise banned or supervised. A licensee is the authorized party that receives the right to use or execute something, and has the responsibility to abide by the rules that govern the authorized activity. The process of receiving a license is accomplished by demonstrating appropriate knowledge or experience and fulfilling legal, theoretical, and practical requirements.
The term "licensee" is widely known and used throughout many industries and sectors, including law, business, real estate, and technology. However, the term has roots in Medieval European law when a "licentia" was a royal grant typically given as authorization for education or religious practices.
Examples of Licensee
- A bar licensee: A person or entity that has been approved by the state to serve alcohol within their establishment.
- A software licensee: A person or entity that has purchased legal permission to use a particular software product from its copyright holder.
- A patent licensee: A company or individual that has received authorized permission to utilize, manufacture, or sell a patented invention.
- A broadcasting licensee: A person or entity that has been granted permission by the Federal Communications Commission to broadcast on the airwaves.
- A real estate licensee: A person with a real estate license enabling them to buy, sell, or rent properties.
Legal Terms Similar to Licensee
- Licensor: the party who grants the license to the licensee
- Regulatory body: the government agency responsible for issuing and enforcing licenses
- Permits: similar to licenses, but typically limited to specific activities or projects rather than broad permissions