Official Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Official, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Official?
It refers to any person or thing, who or which, is authorised by a higher authority or public official( like court, president) to command, guide, or perform an act which a common man is not able to do it.
History and Meaning of Official
The term "Official" is derived from the Latin word "officialis." Typically, an official is someone who is recognized by law or by a particular organization or government as holding a position of authority or duty. This can include government officials such as police officers, judges or elected officials, as well as members of private organizations or companies.
An official’s role usually provides benefits such as protection under the law, access to confidential information, and sometimes a monetary salary or compensation for their services. The official has the authority to enforce laws, make decisions or rules, and represent a particular group, organization or government.
Examples of Official
- The Mayor of New York City is an official of the City government.
- A referee is an official in a sports game who makes sure the rules are enforced.
- An official language is a language that is recognized by a government to be the language used in its documents, laws, and public proceedings.
- A company's official website is the website that most accurately represents the company and its products and services.
- A public official is anyone who holds an elected or appointed position in a government office.
Legal Terms Similar to Official
- Authority - The power or right to give commands, enforce laws, or make decisions.
- Agent - A person or entity that acts on behalf of another person or organization.
- Appointee - An individual who has been appointed to a particular position or role.
- Public Servant - Someone who works for the government and is tasked with providing a service to the public.
- Representative - A person authorized to act on behalf of another person or group.