Outbuilding Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Outbuilding, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Outbuilding?
A portion of the premises which is separated from the main structure but is a part of the premises like outhouse,garage,shed any forrm of storage place etc.
History and Meaning of Outbuilding
An outbuilding is any detached or subordinate building that is located on the same property as the main building. Typically, an outbuilding is used for a specific purpose such as storage, a workshop, or housing animals or equipment. It is considered part of the same premises as the main building but is physically separated from it.
The history of outbuildings can be traced back to early farming communities where they were used as barns or sheds to house livestock and store crops. As urban areas developed, outbuildings continued to be a common feature of residential properties, often used as garages or storage sheds.
Examples of Outbuilding
- John built a small outbuilding on his property to serve as a home office.
- The property included a large outbuilding that had been used as a workshop by the previous owner.
- The zoning regulations permitted small outbuildings to be constructed in backyards for storage or hobbies.
- The homeowner installed a security system that included sensors on the windows and doors of the outbuilding.
- The appraisal of the property included a valuation for the outbuilding along with the main house.
Legal Terms Similar to Outbuilding
- Annex - an addition or extension to an existing building.
- Accessory building - a subordinate building that is located on the same property as the main building and is used for a specific purpose.
- Detached structure - a building or structure that is not physically attached to another building on the same property.
- Garage - a building, often attached or adjacent to a house, used for storing cars or other vehicles.
- Outhouse - a small outbuilding used for an outdoor toilet or as a storage shed.