Owner Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Owner, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Owner?
a person who has legal ownership of a property and has the right to use it and has full control over it unless prevented by some agreement.
History and Meaning of Owner
The term "owner" comes from the Old English word "anweald", which means power or authority. The idea of ownership existed in ancient cultures as well, such as in the Greco-Roman concept of dominium, which was the ultimate power over a thing. The definition of the term "owner" today is similar and refers to a person who has legal ownership of a property and has the right to use and control it.
Examples of Owner
- Jane is the owner of a small shop downtown.
- The Andersons are the owners of a large ranch in Texas.
- Tom bought a new car and is now the owner of it.
- The corporation is the owner of all the patents and trademarks.
- The city council is the owner of the public park.
Legal Terms Similar to Owner
- Title - the legal right to ownership of a property.
- Possession - the physical control or custody of a property.
- Lien - a legal claim against a property to secure a debt or obligation.
- Eminent Domain - the power of the government to take private property for public use.