Per Capita Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Per Capita, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Per Capita?
adj. Latin for “by head” that is to be determined by the number of people.To calculate the per capita cost the total number of people in a given group or area are added and then divided to get an aggregate or average value for bills,taxes ,benefits etc.
History and Meaning of Per Capita
Per capita is derived from Latin and means “by head”. In simple terms, it refers to a rate or amount that is calculated based on the total number of people in the given group or area. Per capita can be used to calculate various costs, such as taxes, benefits, expenses, or averages for any given metric.
Per capita calculation helps to provide a more accurate representation of an area’s costs and expenses as it considers the population and not just the total amount. For example, per capita income is the average income per person in a given area or country, which considers each person's earning, rather than just the total amount earned within that area or country.
Examples of Per Capita
- Per capita income: The average amount of money earned by each person in a specific area or country.
- Per capita GPD: The total Gross Domestic Product of a country or region divided by its total population.
- Per capita consumption: The average consumption of a given resource or product by each person in a specific area or country.
- Per capita healthcare spending: The average amount spent per person on healthcare services in a given region or country.
Legal Terms Similar to Per Capita
- Pro rata: This term refers to a proportional allocation or distribution of benefits, costs, or votes based on each party's share or interest.
- Ad valorem: This refers to a tax or fee that is calculated based on the value of a property, service or product.
- Prima facie: This term refers to a situation where a case or claim is considered true on its face, without further investigation or proof.