Pot Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Pot, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Pot?
Slang for the illegal narcotic, Marijuana.
History and Meaning of Pot
Pot is a slang term used to refer to the illegal drug marijuana. It is believed to have originated in the 1930s and has since become one of the most commonly used terms to describe marijuana. The term "pot" may have originated from the Spanish word "potiguaya," which refers to the leaves and buds of the marijuana plant.
Examples of Pot
- The police found a large amount of pot in his car during the traffic stop.
- She got caught smoking pot in the school bathroom.
- He was arrested for selling pot to an undercover police officer.
- My friend's dad grows pot in their backyard.
- The smell of pot was overwhelming at the music festival.
Legal Terms Similar to Pot
- Marijuana - The technical term for the drug referred to as "pot."
- Cannabis - Another term used to refer to marijuana.
- Weed - Another slang term for marijuana.