Private Carrier Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Private Carrier, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Private Carrier?
It is an organization or individual who provides services of transporting goods or communication for money. It varies from common carriers who are responsible to be equal to all customers perform the services on regular basis. Private carriers have right to refuse certain customers if they do not want to provide them the services.
History and Meaning of Private Carrier
The term "private carrier" refers to an individual or organization that provides transportation or communication services for money. Unlike a common carrier, private carriers do not have an obligation to serve all customers equally, and have the right to refuse certain customers if they choose to do so.
Private carriers have been a part of transportation history for centuries, with individuals and companies offering specialized transportation services for goods or people. In the United States, private carriers are regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and are subject to certain rules and regulations to ensure safety and compliance.
Examples of Private Carrier
- A company that provides private shuttle services for employees, such as transporting them between a parking lot and a workplace.
- An individual who operates a courier service to deliver packages on behalf of clients for a fee.
- A trucking company that only transports goods for a specific client or industry.
Legal Terms Similar to Private Carrier
- Common Carrier: A carrier that provides transportation or communication services to the public for a fee, such as a commercial airline or mail delivery service.
- Contract Carrier: A carrier that provides transportation services under a written contract with a specific client.
- Exempt Carrier: A carrier that is exempt from certain regulations or requirements, such as a carrier that transports agricultural products.