Services Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Services, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Services?
(n) Services is the work done by a person on behalf of another person as per an agreement to do such work specified for a consideration payable or paid.
History and Meaning of Services
The term "services" pertains to work done by one person on behalf of another as per a predetermined agreement. The agreement typically calls for the completion of a specific task or project, which is given for a payable price. The history of services dates back to ancient times when various services were offered to monarchs and people of a high social standing. Services such as medicine, education, and even military protection were rendered exclusive to specific classes in ancient societies. In contemporary times, services have taken on an entirely different light, with the industry encompassing a vast range of employment sectors, including customer service, healthcare, education, and technology services, among others.
Examples of Services
- A customer hires a cleaning service to clean their home twice a month in return for a predetermined fee.
- A company hires an IT consulting firm to improve its technology systems for a fee.
- A client hires a lawyer to provide legal representation in a court of law in return for payment.
- A patient consults a medical physician for a physical examination and medical treatment.
- A student enrolls in an educational institute to receive educational services.
- Professional Services: The term refers to services provided by individuals in a particular profession with specialized knowledge or skills.
- Managed Services: Managed services refer to a model of outsourcing tasks to qualified service providers to manage business functions.
- Customer Service: The act of addressing the needs and concerns of customers as they engage with a company's products or services.