Sodomy Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Sodomy, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Sodomy?
(n) Sodomy is the sexual act by which a man insert his penis in another persons anus for sexual satisfaction, with or with out consent of the other. Sedomy is a crime if done without consent or by using force and threat etc.
History and Meaning of Sodomy
Sodomy has a long and complicated history, with varying definitions depending on the time and place. The term originally referred to sexual acts between humans and animals, but over time, its meaning evolved to encompass any non-procreative sexual act, including anal intercourse. Throughout history, sodomy has been criminalized in many cultures, including ancient Greece and Rome and many modern-day nations. The laws surrounding sodomy have often been used to discriminate against LGBTQ+ individuals and have fueled ongoing debates about sexual freedom and morality.
Examples of Sodomy
- John was charged with sodomy after being caught having sex with his male partner in a public park.
- The country's sodomy laws were repealed after pressure from LGBTQ+ rights activists.
- The accused was charged with sodomy after allegedly raping a woman using his penis as a weapon.
Legal Terms Similar to Sodomy
- Sexual assault: An unlawful sexual act carried out against a person's will.
- Statutory rape: Sexual intercourse with a person under the age of consent, regardless of their willingness to participate.
- Bestiality: Sexual relations between a human being and an animal.