Solicitor Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Solicitor, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Solicitor?
(n) Solicitor is the law professional rendering all legal services but has not qualified for appearing before a court. In British legal system only a barrister who got special training can appear before the court.
History and Meaning of Solicitor
The term solicitor originated in England in the 15th century and refers to a legal professional who provides legal services and advice to clients. In the British legal system, solicitors are distinct from barristers, who are trained to represent clients in court. Solicitors typically work in private practice or in-house at large corporations, handling legal matters such as contracts, property transactions, and disputes.
In order to become a solicitor, one must obtain a qualifying law degree and complete the Legal Practice Course. This is followed by a period of training, known as a training contract, during which the aspiring solicitor works under the supervision of a qualified solicitor to gain practical experience. Once the training contract is completed, the solicitor can apply to the Solicitors Regulation Authority for admission to the Roll of Solicitors and can then practice law as a solicitor.
Examples of Solicitor
- I need to hire a solicitor to help me with the legal aspects of buying a house.
- The company I work for has an in-house solicitor who handles all of our legal matters.
- The solicitor advised his client to settle the case out of court.
- She decided to become a solicitor after completing her law degree.
- The accused was represented by his solicitor during the trial.
Legal Terms Similar to Solicitor
- Barrister: a legal professional who is qualified to represent clients in court.
- Lawyer: a term used to refer to both barristers and solicitors.
- Attorney: a term used in the United States to refer to a lawyer.
- Counsel: a term used to refer to a lawyer who provides legal advice.
- Advocate: a term used in some legal systems to refer to a lawyer who represents clients in court.