Term Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Term, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Term?
1\. The limited or fixed time period stated and refered in the lease or contract deed. 2. Another meaningful word or sentence for some word. 3) A point where something ends or begins.4) The period of time when the school or court session is on.5) Details of agreement.
History and Meaning of Term
The term "term" is a common legal term that is used to define a limited or fixed time period stated in a lease or contract deed. A term can also be used in a broader sense to refer to a point where something ends or begins, such as the term of a presidency or a school term. In addition, term can be used as another meaningful word or sentence for some other word, and the term can also refer to the details of an agreement.
Examples of Term
- The lease agreement for the apartment stated that the term of the lease was one year.
- The term of the presidential office in the United States is four years.
- The school term for the fall semester begins in August and ends in December.
- The contract for the construction project specifies a term of two years.
- The term "intellectual property" is commonly used to refer to ideas or creative works that can be protected by law.
Legal Terms Similar to Term
- Duration: The length of time something lasts.
- Tenure: A period of time during which someone has a position or job.
- Expiration: The end of a fixed period of time or the end of a legal contract.
- Renewal: The extension of a contract or agreement beyond its original term.
- Termination: The ending of a contractual or employment relationship.