Title Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Title, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Title?
It is an evidence of ownership of real estate which is supported by a deed or any other legal document abiding by the laws of the country which prevents the right of anyone else to claim the property.2) position of a person in a company or firm 3) legal name of things like books, cases, theatres by which it is known.
History and Meaning of Title
The term "Title" has different meanings depending on the context in which it is being used. In real estate, a title is a legal document that provides proof of ownership of the property. This document is usually a deed that confirms the transfer of ownership from one person to another. It also includes any liens or encumbrances on the property. A title is an important document when it comes to property ownership, as it helps to establish the rightful owner of the property.
Title can also refer to a person's position in a company or firm. This context deals with job titles, which describe the responsibilities and duties of different roles within an organization. Job titles can vary from company to company, and sometimes overlap with other roles. Companies use job titles to help define career paths and provide structure to the organization.
Finally, in the context of literature and entertainment, a title is the name given to a book, movie, play, or other creative work. It is the official name by which the work is known and referred to. The title of a creative work can sometimes give a hint to its subject matter or themes.
Examples of Title
- Jane received the title to her new house after signing the deed.
- John was promoted to the title of Vice President in his company.
- The title of the new Star Wars movie is "The Rise of Skywalker".
- The title of the book is "To Kill a Mockingbird".
- The title of the play is "Romeo and Juliet".
Legal Terms Similar to Title
- Deed - A legal document that transfers ownership of property from one person to another.
- Lien - A legal claim on someone's property as security for a debt or other obligation.
- Encumbrance - Any factor that limits a property's market value or title.