Viz Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Viz, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Viz?
(prep) Viz is the proposition used to details a certain class. This is used to explain the general nature of a particular term without exclusively diminishing or limiting its scope. When a list is given they are definitely included in its meaning as well as similar non reported items may also exist.
History and Meaning of Viz
Viz is a Latin abbreviation for the word "videlicet," which means "that is to say," or "namely." It is commonly used in legal writing to clarify a particular term or concept without limiting its scope. The use of Viz dates back to the medieval ages and has since become a standard part of legal and technical writing.
Examples of Viz
- "Jane is the sole owner of the property, viz, a house and a piece of land."
- "The company has three main objectives, viz, to increase sales, improve customer satisfaction, and reduce expenses."
- "There are three primary colors, viz, red, blue, and yellow."
Legal Terms Similar to Viz
- I.e. - another Latin abbreviation meaning "that is" or "in other words."
- E.g. - a Latin abbreviation for "for example."
- Inter alia - a Latin phrase meaning "among other things."