Domestic Relations Definition and Legal Meaning
On this page, you'll find the legal definition and meaning of Domestic Relations, written in plain English, along with examples of how it is used.
What is Domestic Relations?
n. Term used to refer to the legal field dealing with divorce, dissolution, annulment, child custody, child support and alimony.
History and Meaning of Domestic Relations
Domestic Relations is a legal term that refers to the area of law concerned with family relationships and matters of the home. It encompasses a wide range of legal issues that arise in relationships between spouses, parents, and children.
The field of Domestic Relations law began to emerge as a distinct area of practice in the mid-20th century, as divorce rates increased and courts began to place a greater emphasis on the needs and rights of children in family disputes. Today, Domestic Relations law is an essential part of the legal system, and lawyers in this field work to help families navigate complex legal issues with compassion and expertise.
Examples of Domestic Relations
- Jane and John are getting a divorce and need to work out a child custody arrangement for their two kids.
- Bob is seeking alimony from his ex-wife to help support him while he completes his education to enter the job market.
- Sarah is looking to adopt a child and needs to ensure that she is meeting all of the legal requirements for the adoption process.
Legal Terms Similar to Domestic Relations
- Family Law - A similar field of law that deals with legal issues surrounding families and domestic relationships.
- Child Support - The financial support paid by a non-custodial parent to the custodial parent to help cover the costs of raising the child.
- Property Settlement - The process by which a couple divides up their assets and debts during divorce proceedings.